A day in the life of a mom... the glamorous and messy reality of what makes it all worth it!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What did you do today?

Every night when I crawl into bed, exhausted and sore I lay my head on my fluffy pillow And think that question.

What did I do today?

Some nights as my husband walks in the door from work and Ava's little face lights up with joy as she runs up to throw her arms around this leg before he's even taken his coat off, he asks that question to her..

What did you do today?

I try to fill our days with outings with little friends and adventures to new places. But some days we just play at home and yet those are some of the most exhausting. But to Ava she is always so happy to tell her daddy what we did. To her it isn't about the money we spent or how many miles we drove to get there. She just enjoys a day at home painting or playing with her dolls as much as an afternoon at the aquarium. Kids have a way of getting joy an happiness how of the most simplest situations. They enjoy the box or wrapping paper of a gift as much as the new toy inside.

I am always pushing myself to be a perfect parent to always try and make sure my kids childhood it as amazing as possible. But the truth is at the end of the day it's not about where we went but the memories created. Sometimes when we are at home I feel the need to always be cleaning or organizing and dealing with things. I often expect My girls to play quietly by themselves so I can be productive. But over the last 6 months something changed, now that I am home I am really...home. I have tried to live in the moment and remember what is most important. My girls won't remember how the house looked or if their dresses were ironed. They will remember if I was a good mom. I want they to remember me playing tea party and dressup. I want to let them be kids, be messy, paint and express themselves. Some of our most memorable days end with a messy house, a sink full of dirty dishes and a big smile in our hearts. And that my friends is what really matters...



No comments: